Hero Image

AMMP Grants

Alternative Manure Management Program

Program deadline (passed): April 27, 2020

The Alternative Manure Management Program helps dairy and livestock producers decrease their manure-derived methane emissions by transitioning from one manure management system to another. It does not provide funds for the installation of an anaerobic digester. It awards funds up to $750,000.

AMMP pic

Eligible practices include:

  • Solid separation, in conjunction with one of the following practices:
    • Solar drying
    • Daily spread
    • Solid storage
    • Composting
  • Conversion from flush to scrape, in conjunction with one of the following:
    • Solar drying
    • Daily spread
    • Solid storage
    • Composting
  • Alternative manure treatment and storage, such as:
    • Compost bedded pack barn, or
    • Slatted floor pit storage manure collection
  • Transitioning to a pasture-based system

What does this look like?

Here are 2 examples of successful projects in the Central Valley:

  • With his AMMP grant, Scott Magneson in Merced County will:
    • Install a mechanical screen separator that separates manure solids from flush water.
    • Compost the manure in windrows on concrete and recycle the flush water.
    • Spread the compost on his pastures, increasing pasture time and decreasing the amount of manure in the barns.
    • Build a compost pack barn for his heifers.
  • Jerry DaSilva in San Joaquin County received an AMMP grant for his dairy.
    • He will install “weeping walls” to separate manure solids from the water used to flush his barns.
    • After drying on concrete pads, the manure will fertilize his fields.
    • In addition to cutting methane emissions and reducing nitrate leaching into groundwater, this new system requires less labor than the previous one.
  • By separating the manure from the flush water, these recipients will significantly decrease their methane emissions.

How to apply:

The grant process includes a web-based application consisting of a series of questions that can be saved and returned to before submitting: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/AMMP/

It is helpful to obtain the necessary permits and quotes for projects before starting the application, as you will need them to complete the application.

Please contact UC Cooperative Extension specialist Shulamit Shroder at sashroder@ucanr.edu for questions or help with the application.