Hero Image

SB-88 / SB-589 Water Diversions

Assembly Bill 589 Training Classes

AB 589 (Bigelow): Water diversion: monitoring and reporting training

Senate Bill 88 requires all water right holders - who have previously diverted or intend to divert more than 10 acre-feet per year (including riparian and pre-1914 claims), or are authorized to divert more than 10 acre-feet per year (under a permit, license, or registration) - to measure and report the water they divert.

Assembly Bill 589 allows any diverter, as defined, who has completed a course on measurement devices and methods administered by the University of California Cooperative Extension, including passage of a proficiency test to be considered a "Qualified Individual" who may install and maintain measuring devices or implement methods of measurement that are used for their own annual diversions as required by the California State Water Resources Control Board.


Upcoming training workshops

In-person workshops are canceled due to the Coronavirus outbreak: 

Please email us if you are interested in online training:

Please email Khaled Bali at kmbali@ucanr.edu

Determining Volume in a Small Pond with a Staff Gauge and Depth-Capacity Curve