Applying to be a 4-H volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must apply and be appointed annually. New candidates and individuals whose enrollment has lapsed for a full program year must follow the procedure shown below:
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
- Complete the online 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey. This step must be completed first. Survey submissions must be reviewed and approved by 4-H program staff.
- Create an adult volunteer profile at https://4h.zsuite.org/.* Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. This is how you will receive communications.
*For Spanish: The online enrollment system is only available in English at this time. Please fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms for your records.
- Once you have submitted your enrollment in 4HOnline, you will be sent an email directing you to complete New Volunteer Training modules hosted at https://campus.extension.org. The email will contain a self-enrollment key that you will need in order to register for the training and access the curriculum.
- Submit and clear a California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check (Live Scan fingerprinting). Be sure to download and provide this form to any Live Scan service provider: Kern Request for Live Scan Service. You can go to any provider in Kern County that is listed at the California Department of Justice webpage: Kern County Livescan Service Providers.
- Pay the program fee to your club, or by credit card online, and you are done!
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after
- You are signed up in 4hOnline.
- You have completed and cleared the screening process.
- You complete all of the New Volunteer Training required in your county.
Once you are approved, the fun begins!
- Start connecting with 4-H families about your new role.
- Take advantage of 4-H resources:
- Skills development workshops
- Approved curriculum to plan your projects
- Volunteer leadership conferences
Your county may have additional resources specific to your county, so please connect with your county 4-H Program Representative.